Alumni Relations


Scarlet Pride

The Official Blog for Rutgers Alumni

  •  

Reunion Across the Pond Login to comment

Friday, June 18 2010 01:01:47 PM

Baird Foster RC’60 (Left in picture) and Steve Murray RC’60 (Right in picture), both Dekes, were unable to attend our 50th. When they learned from fellow Deke George Sipel RC’60 that neither could show up because they’d be in England, they exchanged a few emails and realized they’d be just 20 miles apart. So they staged their own reunion, with their wives, too, and had dinner at the Moorlands Hotel in Dartmoor, Devon, on May 9! Both admitted they would not have recognized each other on the streets, but they agreed it was fun to reminisce. Steve, retired for three years, lives in the Gainesville, GA, area. Baird retired in 1994 and lives in Moorestown, NJ. – Submitted by Dave Van Duren ED’60, Rutgers Magazine class correspondent

Tags: reunion 

Call for Nominations Login to comment

Thursday, June 03 2010 11:24:47 AM

For more than 240 years, Rutgers graduates have been making their mark on the world. These distinguished alumni are an inspiration to the Rutgers community and the world at large. We are proud of their outstanding accomplishments and proud to call them Rutgers alumni.

If you know of a Rutgers graduate who deserves to be recognized, please nominate him or her for the Rutgers Excellence in Alumni Leadership Awards or The Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni.

The Rutgers Excellence in Alumni Leadership (REAL) awards program recognizes alumni volunteer efforts within the university community. These awards will once again be presented during the RUAA Alumni Leaders Conference, to be held the weekend of October 22-23, 2010. Please think of individuals who have demonstrated their love of alma mater by giving their time to volunteer and engage alumni with Rutgers. By nominating these alumni volunteers, you help to recognize their efforts and provide motivation to others who will be inspired by their examples.

To learn more about this program, past honorees, or to submit a nomination, please visit Ralumni.com/REAL.

The deadline for nominations is June 30, 2010.

The Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni recognizes alumni whose achievements in professional and civic life have brought honor to themselves and the university. Rutgers and the Rutgers University Alumni Association each year bestow the prestigious Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni Awards.

The Hall of Distinguished Alumni also serves to commemorate the more than 240 years of history and tradition of the Rutgers community, and to inspire students and alumni, present and future, to strive for excellence.

The deadline for nominations is July 31, 2010.
Tags:
It’s Commencement week at Rutgers, and that means some of the University’s oldest traditions are on display at the various ceremonies taking place across the campuses this week. The epicenter of much of the tradition is the Old Queens Bell, which sits atop Old Queens and was a gift from the schools namesake, Revolutionary War veteran Col. Henry Rutgers, in 1826. The bell originally was used to signal the beginning and ending of classes, but now it is only rung on special occasions, such as commencement.

University commencement has undergone many changes in venue and format over the past two centuries. Here are some of the highlights of two centuries of graduations at Rutgers:
  • In 1774, the graduating class of Queen’s College consisted of one student, Matthew Leydt.
  • Before 1913, commencement took place in the Ballantine Gymnasium, which later burned to the ground. A portion still survives in the Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum.
  • In the 1920s, commencement exercises shifted to the Second Reformed Church, then located at George and Albany streets.
  • In the 1930s, commencement moved to the College Avenue Gym, constructed in 1932 to replace the Ballantine Gym.
  • In 1948, commencement was to take place on the Voorhees Mall, but inclement weather forced a last-minute relocation to the College Avenue Gym. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower received an honorary degree and delivered an impromptu, six-minute address. The 1948 university commencement also brought together the Newark and New Brunswick campuses for the first time. Camden would join later.
  • In 1949, commencement moved from Voorhees Mall to Rutgers Stadium to accommodate 1,666 degree candidates — mostly World War II veterans — and 10,000 guests.
  • In 1967, the national anthem was sung for the first time at the ceremony.
  • In 1968, a gonfalonier appeared with the university gonfalon followed by gonfalons for each academic unit. The gonfalon is a banner displaying Rutgers’ coat of arms that is borne at the head of all university processions by a senior faculty member known as the gonfalonier. The coat of arms is quartered to represent in armorial bearings the founding and growth of the university. The upper right quarter bears the arms of the House of Orange and recognizes the Dutch settlers who founded Queen’s College under the aegis of the Dutch Reformed Church. The upper left quarter contains the armorial devices of English King George III and Queen Charlotte. The lower right quarter contains the Great Seal of New Jersey. The lower left bears the coat of arms of Col. Henry Rutgers.
  • In 1972, the ceremony returned to Voorhees Mall. The university’s schools and colleges adopted the practice of holding their own convocation ceremonies. Advanced degrees were conferred on 1,800 men and women in the morning and 4,000 baccalaureate degrees were conferred at individual convocations.
  • In 2004, the ceremony once again returned to Voorhees Mall, after 24 years at the Louis Brown Athletic Center, more commonly known as the RAC, on the Livingston campus.
  • At Commencement exercises, tradition led undergraduates to break clay pipes over the Class of 1877 Cannon monument in front of Old Queens, symbolizing the breaking of ties with the college, and leaving behind the good times of one's undergraduate years. This symbolic gesture dates back to when pipe-smoking was fashionable among undergraduates, and many college memories were of evenings of pipe smoking and revelry with friends.
  • During commencement, graduating seniors walked in academic procession under the Class of 1902 Memorial Gateway (erected in 1904) on Hamilton Street leading to the Voorhees Mall where the ceremonies were held for Rutgers College. Traditionally, students are warned to avoid walking beneath the gate before commencement over a superstition that one who does will not graduate.

Douglass' Sacred Path Login to comment

Monday, May 03 2010 01:25:39 PM

In the early 1900s, it was customary on college campuses for the rising classes to impose 'friendly' restrictions on the new first-year class, and the New Jersey College for Women was no exception to this tradition. The NJC Class of 1922 deemed that first-year students were not permitted to wear anything red and were prohibited from walking on the path from George Street to College Hall for the duration of their first year. This path is known as Sacred Path.

The NJC community decided that at the end of spring semester, they would gather for a "moving up" of the classes ceremony, in which first-year students would be escorted down the Sacred Path by upper-class women, thereby officially becoming sophomores.

Today, Rutgers University honors the Sacred Path tradition with a program in the spring that begins at Voorhees Chapel. The program includes a ceremony of the moving-up of the Douglass classes, a tribute to all service groups, and culminates with a fire pit lit parade to College Hall. Along the way, the participants make a wish on a pinecone and toss into the flames of the fire pits. They then move down the Sacred Path to a reception in the Douglass Campus Center in which the participants receive a charm corresponding to their class year. At the end of four years, they will have four charms to commemorate their years at Rutgers. In addition, each class year is represented by a certain color.
Alumnae receive an ivy leaf charm. Dressed in black, seniors receive the mortarboard. In red, juniors receive a key. Wearing pink, the sophomores receive a clock. Clothed in white, the first years receive a lantern.

The most recent celebration of Sacred Path was held on Sunday, May 2, 2010. Over 700 students, alumnae, family, and friends filled the chapel to honor Douglass tradition and to collect their charms. 

Happy Earth Day, Rutgers Alumni! Login to comment

Thursday, April 22 2010 03:01:30 PM

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day, Rutgers Alumni! Forty years ago, U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson hatched an idea aimed to inspire awareness and appreciation of the planet we call home. The grassroots movement, founded by him but organized by many, started a wave of change and continues to gain the interest of thousands across the nation and the world. Today, Earth Day is celebrated in 175 countries and is coordinated by the nonprofit Earth Day Network. 

Helping the planet certainly has inspired some Rutgers alumni, including Carl Safina GSNB'82, '87, Thomas Jeffries GSNB'75, and Lester Brown AG’55. Safina, an ecologist and marine conservationist, raises awareness on the dangers of overfishing and influences fishing practices worldwide. Jeffries, a research scientist, pursues the mysteries of P. stipitis, a type of yeast that may be extremely helpful in the production of alternative fuel. And Brown, a member of the Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni and the “guru of the global environmental movement," (Calcutta Telegraph), stresses the ecological impact of our harmful actions by publishing books, founding organizations, giving speeches, and so much more. 

These alumni are among the many people doing their share to help the Earth. You can help, too! For example, Rutgers–Newark has organized a gardening event today that will help feed the plethora of bird species that fly over Newark. This project, which started in 2005, attracts plenty of enthusiastic students, faculty, staff, and alumni that want to make the campus greener and more beautiful. Click here for more information.

Whether it is by planting a tree, recycling more, walking more, or throwing out less waste, your actions aid the greater good. What are you doing today to help the planet?

What’s in a Name? Login to comment

Wednesday, April 14 2010 10:21:05 AM

Most people know Rutgers as Rutgers University or Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. However, that was not always our school's name. The original name was Queen’s College. On November 10, 1766, William Franklin, the last colonial governor of New Jersey, signed the charter that brought Queen's College into existence. So, how did Rutgers become Rutgers?

After the second closing of the college due to financial hardships, the university opened for good in November 1825. In December 1825, the trustees renamed the college in honor of Colonel Henry Rutgers, member of President Philip Milledoler's parish, president of its Board of Corporation, and a church elder.

Descended from an old New York Dutch family, Colonel Rutgers possessed valuable land holdings in the city. He graduated from King's College, was a Revolutionary War veteran, and held various posts of civic importance in New York.

In 1826, Colonel Henry Rutgers donated a $200 bell that is hung from the cupola of the Old Queens Building, the oldest building on the New Brunswick Campus. Later in the year, Colonel Rutgers donated the interest from a $5,000 bond. The interest paid on that bond kept struggling Rutgers open permanently.

Color War: Orange vs. Scarlet Login to comment

Wednesday, March 31 2010 10:53:00 AM

April Fools! Rutgers University's school color is still scarlet.

However, in the 1800s, students initially wanted to make orange the school color. The students cited Rutgers' Dutch heritage, noting that the color would be in reference to the Prince of Orange. An orange flag, however, could not be found in the New Brunswick area. The Rutgers student publication "Targum" (which would go on to become The Daily Targum) first proposed that scarlet be adopted in May 1869, claiming that it was a striking color and because scarlet ribbon was easily obtained. Scarlet soon became symbolically appropriate, for it was discovered that the Dutch Prince of Orange actually used red, not orange, in his family coat of arms. 

Rutgers

At the time, the use of school colors was little known in the United States, making Rutgers a pioneer in establishing a college color, according to William H.S. Demarest, Class of 1883 and Rutgers president (1906–1924). During the first intercollegiate football game with Princeton on November 6, 1869, the players from Rutgers wore scarlet-colored turbans and handkerchiefs to distinguish them as a team from the Princeton players. The Board of Trustees officially made scarlet the school color in 1900.

Memory Lane Finalists 2 comments

Monday, March 15 2010 01:18:03 PM

Thank you to all the alumni who posted photos of their times at Rutgers and took a trip down Rutgers memory lane. Take a look at the photos below and visit http://www.facebook.com/rutgersalumni to vote on your top choice by March 29. Limit your vote to one choice and post the number of your favorite picture. All photos and captions are provided by the contestants.


1. Rory Cal Maradonna

Rutgers Camden 1975 Brothers
George Mamo, Rory Cal Maradonna, Richard P Feldman, Bradford T. Smith


2. Peter Hawkins

Wm. "Turk" Turkowski: Rugby legend of the 60s and 70s , student graduate with the most credits (230) before finally getting out. This was the front and back cover of the 1972 Freshman handbook. I was the editor and felt Turk was emblematic of the turbulent campus during the Vietnam era.


3. D Neal Moyer

Metzger 2nd floor 1980 - 81
Glen AKA "Bear", Maria, Millicent, D Neal Moyer, Janet, Larry, Phil (Clean my Glass), Mark


4. Lindsay Huntoon

L to R: (unknown with Baritone), Chuck Singletary, Kit Parr, Lenny Pollara, Lenny Schwartz, Richard Schultz, Lindsay Huntoon.


5. Melanie Baker Bleiweis

Melanie Baker Bleiweis, class president, 1986 during senior week, with late Edward Bloustein and Lisa Butto Solan, classmate and friend.


6. Seth Jonas

Night Rutgers beat Penn State in the A10 Final in 1989
Pete Solov, Dan Goldfarb, Alan Biren, Howard Kraft, Mark Malek, Phil Trechak, Myles A. Runsdorf, Spencer Hoffman, Dan Farber, Stu Sklar, Marc Grossman


7. Mike Capizola

The "Sixth Floor Campbell Crew" in 1972, standing in front of the dorm.
Dennis Wildman, Jim Feehan, Franklyn Mancinelli, Mike Capizola


8. Rob Bongard

 
Rob Bongard was a cheerleader in 1977 when he had this picture taken of him and fellow cheerleader Janet O (under the megaphone).
Janet L Alexander, Rob Bongard

Origin of the Knight Login to comment

Monday, March 15 2010 10:14:55 AM

Scarlet KnightIn its early days, Rutgers athletes were known informally as "The Scarlet" in reference to the school color, or as "Queensmen" in reference to the institution's first name, Queen's College. In 1925, the mascot was changed to Chanticleer, a fighting rooster from the medieval fable Reynard the Fox (Le Roman de Renart), which was used by Geoffrey Chaucer in The Canterbury Tales. At the time, the student humor magazine at Rutgers was called Chanticleer, and one of its early arts editors, Ozzie Nelson (later of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet fame) was quarterback of the Rutgers team from 1924 to 1926. The Chanticleer mascot was unveiled at a football game against Lafayette College, in which Lafayette was also introducing a new mascot, a leopard.

It is also a little-known fact that the New Brunswick-based broadcast station, WCTC, which serves as the flagship station of Rutgers athletics, had its call letters derived from the word "ChanTiCleer." Chanticleer remained as the nickname for some 30 years.

However, the choice of Chanticleer as a mascot was often the subject of ridicule because of its association with "being chicken." In 1955, the mascot was changed to the Scarlet Knight after a campus-wide election, beating out other contenders such as "Queensmen," the "Scarlet," the "Red Lions," the "Redmen," and the "Flying Dutchmen." Earlier proposed nicknames included "Pioneers" and "Cannoneers." The Scarlet-garbed knight, riding a spirited white charger, came to represent a new era – the rejuvenation of first-class football "On the Banks."

Rutgers and Princeton Cannon War 2 comments

Monday, March 01 2010 11:59:59 AM

On the night of April 25, 1875, a group of students from Rutgers set off to Princeton to take back a Revolutionary War-era cannon they thought was rightfully theirs. Student tradition has it that at one time the cannon was the property of Rutgers College, but Princeton had stolen it and placed it on their own campus. It took the men two hours to drag the 1,088-pound cannon 200 yards to their horse-drawn wagon and seven hours to cart it back to New Brunswick, where it was triumphantly unloaded in front of Old Queens.

In retaliation, Princeton students raided the Rutgers Armory and stole a few muskets. To settle the dispute, the presidents of the two colleges set up a joint committee which eventually recommended that the cannon be returned. When the cannon was returned, Princeton University officials ordered it buried in the ground, encased in cement, with only a few feet of the butt end exposed above ground.

In October 1946, several Rutgers students attempted (unsuccessfully) to repeat the crime, attaching one end of a heavy chain to the cannon and the other to their Ford. Surprised by Princeton men, they gunned the engine of the Ford so viciously that the car was torn in half. The students managed to escape, but with neither the car nor the cannon.

Today the cannon is behind Nassau Hall on the Princeton campus. The cannon that stands in front of Old Queens was placed there by the Class of 1877 as a memorial of the event. To this day, spirited Rutgers students engage in midnight trips to paint Princeton's cannon with their scarlet pride.
Page: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
© Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
For questions or comments about this site, contact RUAlumni@alumni.rutgers.edu.