Top 25 Reasons to attend the 25th Anniversary Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni Awards Gala
We've got 25 reasons you just can't miss the 25th Anniversary Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni Awards Gala on Saturday, May 5, 2012, in New Brunswick. Read on to find out why you should RSVP today for this one-of-a-kind event.
25. Enjoy VIP treatment… we literally roll out the red carpet. (See #20, too!)
24. Celebrate the connection that you share with the honorees: Rutgers.
23. See how your fellow alumni have made an impact in every industry imaginable. This year’s inductees are leaders in telecommunications, the military, biomedical science, neurosurgery, and cancer research.
22. Silently chuckle when you realize the honorees, all once Rutgers students themselves, probably got lost on campus once or twice, too.
21. It is the 25th anniversary. That’s a big (silver) deal!
20. Pose for the paparazzi. You might end up in Rutgers Magazine or on RU-tv!
19. Eat, drink, and be merry! From the hors d’oeuvres and signature cocktails at the opening reception through the gourmet dinner, open bar, and decadent dessert, your taste buds will send you a thank you card for the gift.
18. Take the next step in your relationship—with Rutgers. Show your support for Rutgers University and the RUAA in a major way.
17. Hear the moving acceptance speeches given by alumni who used their Rutgers education to achieve their biggest dreams.
16. Meet inductee Dennis Bone RBS’84, who literally climbed his way to the top. Now the president of Verizon New Jersey, he began his telecommunications career by repairing lines on telephone poles for New Jersey Bell.
15. Let the Hall of Distinguished Alumni inspire you as you climb your own ladder of success.
14. A gala is the classy way to party at Rutgers. (But don’t stop there. See #2.)
13. Experience history come to life as we look back on 25 years of honoring our best and brightest graduates.
12. Feel the courage of U.S. Army Brigadier General Flora Darpino CLAW’86. She was the senior legal adviser for United States Forces–Iraq, providing wide-ranging counsel to the commander and 120,000 military personnel and also supervising 400 multi-service legal staff.
11. The original, Rutgers-themed live performances—featuring song parodies about our five inductees—will have you tapping your toes all night. (See #10 for how you can channel that energy.)
10. The 10-piece band takes requests. Shake your groove thing.
9. Forget six degrees of separation. Your Rutgers degree is a direct connection to the 200+ inductees of the Hall of Distinguished Alumni. (Be proud!)
8. You can learn invaluable mentoring tips from inductee George Hill CCAS’61, not only a renowned biomedical scientist but also a tireless advocate for the advancement of educational opportunities for minority students.
7. Meet new people. The gala is a great networking opportunity.
6. It’s a reason to get dressed up! (Sure, buy a new pair of heels, too.)
5. Shake hands with inductee Kathryn Holloway CCAS’80—who uses those same hands to save lives as one of only about 100 functional neurosurgeons in the entire country.
4. Tip your hat to David Schuller RC’66, an oncologist who changed the standard of care for the second most common malignancy in the world, nearly doubling survival rates.
3. Invite your friends, from Rutgers and elsewhere. The gala is a creative way to enjoy a night of entertainment, dancing, good food, and fun!
2. When the gala comes to a close, the night is still young in New Brunswick. Create your own after-party at one of the city’s many nightlife destinations. You’re already dressed to impress!
#1 Reason to Attend the 25th Anniversary Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni Awards Gala
The gala is a spectacular celebration of Rutgers spirit, pride, history, and tradition. Hands down, it is the best Rutgers event of the year.